Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The weather has changed here in C-Bus...

Yup. That's right. Yesterday I was standing at my bus stop, buttoning my coat against the wind that was making foul whistling noises through the plexi-glass shelter and thinking about how it almost feels like New England. Granted, in New England right now I would be wearing a hoodie underneath my light coat (as opposed to the light-weight work shirt I am wearing) and wondering where I stashed my smart wool socks that I would be needing in a matter of weeks. That said, the change in weather, now that the humidity has taken flight, has energized me for school. I am feeling better--the mono just makes me tired now, as opposed to waking up, aching, and feeling in general like I want to die. This development in health has led Cat and I to explore Columbus a little bit more.

On Friday night we actually went on a date. We found this little one-screen movie theatre in Clintonville (a neighborhood North of us, just past campus) that serves beer on draught and sandwiches so you can eat and drink during your movie. There is also an old Pac Man machine, which apparently, Cat RULES at playing. (I blame my sisters for hogging the only Pac Man machine we ever came in contact, which was at our dentist office, for my own poor performance). So Cat had some kind of IPA and I had a Root Beer on tap as we split veggie sub and watched 500 Days of Summer. It was a perfect evening, it turns out. BUT our last bus came at 9:30 or something, so if we had gone to a later show than the 7:00 showing, we would have needed to cab it home. One downside of Columbus's cheap public transportation.

We were also able to get to a Sunday Brunch since Cat last wrote. We walked the two blocks downtown looking for some place for eggs and coffee and stumbled upon the apparently immensely popular North Star, which has outdoor patio seating, an ordering-your-entrees-at-the-counter system, and locally-grown, organic, and humanly-raised food. I got the pancakes and a carrot juice, Cat got a mushroom frittata and a tea. She couldn't figure out how the loose-tea contraption came out of the mug, but after a minor faux-pas, a nice staff person helped her. The food was kind of expensive ($30 for the two of us to eat) but the atmosphere lovely and the entrees tasty.

Otherwise, I am muddling through my first classes, trying to fit in napping and full nights of sleep in between reading, course-planning, and attempts to make friends. All in all, things are looking up and the wind can't keep me down!

No comments:

Post a Comment